Maryland Handgun Qualification License (HQL)
NOTE: You must complete the application using Microsoft Internet Explorer. If your browser does not display the "Prequisites" Option, then you select 'Tools" from the browser menu options, navigate down the options list under "Tools" and select "Compatibility Mode" option. This will correct the problem with not being about to compete the "Prerequisite" section.
1. Create Your User Account
2. Obtain your Electronic Live Scan Fingerprints at any CJIS Vendor
2. Login and Initiate an HQL Standard or HQL Exempt Application
3. Complete your Demographic Information (Add you Driver's License information and your fingerprint Tracking Control Number (TCN) from your CJIS receipt on the application where it asks for your Processing Control Number (PCN)
4. Complete the Prerequisites Information - If your instructor has a QHIL number enter it in the License Number blank space. If your instructor has a QHIC number enter it in the Certification Number blank space. Only enter a QHIL or a QHIC number not both. NOTE: if your training certificate is numbered by your trainer, don't confuse this with the QHIC certification number of your instructor. Many certificates are numbered internally by your trainer to track each students completion. If this is the case do not put this number in the certification blank space as it will be rejected by the MSP application and can cause errors or delays in processing your application.
5. Answer all the Questions
6. Finish - Verify your information is correct and pay electronically the $50 fee.
The license takes about 10 days to go complete the process. Your instructor's account is notified almost immediately after your submit and pay and is available for his or her approval if your application was completed properly.
We can't have Change without You